Benefits Of Membership Of SONA
- Reduced registration rate for SONA conference
- SONA Newsletter when produced
- Information on research and training opportunities for African neuroscientists
- Eligibility for travel assistance to SONA conferences and workshops
- Eligible to apply and be awarded funds from Organizations affiliated with SONA, e.g. IBRO-ARC, ISN, etc. This benefit is added just as it obtains globally. If one is NOT a bona fide member of SONA, he or she should not access funds that are linked to the Society. We will need the IBRO-ARC to help with this so that SONA can build some financial independence.
- Eligible to publication discounts in special issues of journals organised under the auspices of SONA. - Some of you are aware that the absence of a journal by SONA, there has been Special issues of Journal Publications that provided waivers for SONA members. E.g.Frontiers in Neuroanatomy with Professors Nilesh Patel, Vivienne Russel and Nouria Lakhdar Ghazal as Editors of the Research Topic: Neuroscience in Africa. Also, the Metabolic Brain Disease Journal had a similar supplement. Publication of the manuscripts from the 14th SONA Conference in IBRO Report Journal with Prof James Olopade as Guest Editor
- Eligible to be appointed into any subcommittee of SONA
- Eligible to vote and be voted for into any office of SONA
How to Apply for SONA Membership
To complete the online application form please CLICK HERE.
Please refer to the membership category listed below.
- Corporate membership: National and regional societies of neurosciences in Africa or Neuroscience Interest Group or Committee of individuals devoted to neuroscience or cognitive discipline as corporate members. All individual members of the corporate Member Organizations are entitled to individual membership of SONA.
- Regular membership: Any individual anywhere in Africa or outside Africa who has contributed notably to neuroscience research and who supports the mission of SONA may apply for the status of individual membership.
- Student Membership: Students enrolled in graduate or undergraduate programs at degree-granting institutions of higher education can apply for student membership. We require a confirmation of your current student status (a letter from your supervisor or Head of Department to be send to firstname.lastname@example.org pdf attachment) on application or during your renewal process.
- Associate membership: Supporting members either as independent individuals of commercial organisations, foundations or other bodies who wish to contribute to the objectives of the Society.
- Honorary membership: Individuals anywhere in the world who have made outstanding contributions to neuroscience research and to recognize SONA for such, on recommendation of the Executive Committee may be elected Honorary Members of SONA by simple majority of the Governing Council.
Each member shall pay a nominal subscription fee on an annual basis and their name will be kept on the membership register alternatively you may subscribe and pay for a 2 year membership.
The level of the fees for the type of membership is as follow:
1 Year Annual Membership Subscription
- Student: ZAR 300.00 (USD 20.00)
- Regular Membership: ZAR 750.00 (USD 50.00)
- Associate Membership: ZAR 750.00 (USD 50.00)
- Corporate Membership: ZAR 1650.00 (USD 110.00)
2 Year Annual Membership Subscription
- Student: ZAR 600.00 (USD 40.00)
- Regular Membership: ZAR 1500.00 (USD 100.00)
- Associate Membership: ZAR 1500.00 (USD 100.00)
- Corporate Membership: ZAR 3300.00 (USD 220.00)
3 Year Annual Membership Subscription
Regular Membership: ZAR 1950.00 (USD 130.00)
All fees are charged in ZAR.
If you are not a member of a Corporate Member Society Affiliated to SONA you will need to pay an once off ZAR300.00 ($20) Individual Member Registration Fee in addition to the annual fee which applies.
Students are exempt from paying the once off fee.
Individual Member Registration Fee ZAR 300.00 (USD 20.00)
SONA Secretariat is administered and managed in South Africa and therefore all membership fees and revenue needs to be charged in South African Rand (ZAR) in accordance with the South African Reserve Bank. The membership fee of USD will be converted to ZAR based on an a set conversion rate. The rate will be reviewed and updated by SONA on a monthly basis.
Completed applications for Regular membership are considered for nomination by the Executive Committee on a monthly basis. Affiliate and Student applications are accepted monthly upon approval of the Executive Secretary of the Society. Applications are not complete until all materials are received. The subscription fee shall be payable no later than 31st December each year.
Bank Account Information
|The Conference Company c/o Society of Neuroscientists of Africa
PAYMENT IS DUE ON PRESENTATION OF INVOICE
The secretariat function is performed by The Conference Company (PTY) Ltd on behalf of SONA.
For queries please call: +27 31 303 9852
Funds will be received into a ZAR denominated bank account. VAT accounted for in ZAR.
SONA Secretariat is administered and managed in South Africa and therefore all membership fees and revenue needs to be charged in South African Rand (ZAR) in accordance with the South African Reserve Bank. The membership fee of USD will be converted to ZAR based on a set conversion rate. The rate will be reviewed and updated by SONA on a monthly basis.